Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I Remember You - Part 1

I often get absorbed in finding the blessings within the curse, but for the moment, it's time to find the blessing within the blessings. A childhood friend contacted me through facebook a couple of months ago. I met her in Oregon when I was about 6 or 7. We were new to the area and I didn't know anyone. With her big bright smile she welcomed me and we became best friends. Being an only child, she brought me a sense of sisterhood and for the first time, I wasn't alone. Because of her friendship, she shared many childhood memories with me that I would have otherwise forgotten long ago. And for this Peggy, I remember you.
We later moved to a state that is very segregated. Being from the west coast, I found it difficult to adjust. The standards on society were so strict and the boundaries between races when unbendable. In the midst of all the chaos and confusion two wonderful friends came into my life and brought me a sense of belonging. The boundaries of segregation and societies expectations, to us, didn't exist. We laughed, we played, we danced and embraced life only as children can. It didn't matter what other people said or did, we didn't care how people treated us, we trampled on their rules with defiance and pride because our love for one another was all that mattered. And for this Renee and Tabitha, I remember you.
Our travels eventually led us back to a small coastal town in central California. , where adjustment once again was a challenge. The transition from child to woman was a difficult road. My mother and I never really saw eye to eye and daily arguments were inevitable. The emotional roller coaster was almost unbearable, and then I met Johnny. He was an older teen that lived in the same complex. We often spent time talking, and for the first time, I got the sense that someone was actually listening to me. He cared enough to take the time to listen and understand. He gave me advice on how to handle the situations and saw me for who I truly was. I was more than just some mixed up kid with alot of issues, I was a person worth giving that time to, worth listening to, worth saving. And for this Johnney , I remember you.
As all good things come to an end, his family moved and I never heard from him again. But as one door closes, another opens and I met more wonderful people. They became my rock when my world crumbled all around me. They became the shoulder's I cried upon often.We shared memories, both good and bad, a sacred time in life that would inevitably change our lives forever. We emancipated ourselves from child to adult and you became that foundation for the person I am today. The most sacred of all relationships, Bonnie, Rainbow, Annette, and Kim, I remember you.
The one person who shared my soul, I could never forget. You showed me what true love was really is. You took care of me in a time when I was lost. You were a light upon my path. You saw beyond the scared child and made me a part of yourself.You sacrificed your fears and gave without ever thinking twice. You showed me how delicate and precious love truly is, and even though I didn't learn that lesson then, because of you, I have learned it now. And for this Jerry, I remember you.

No comments:

Post a Comment